I just woke up one day and decided that I did not want to feel this way anymore, or ever again, so I changed! ~ unknown
Hey you awesome people! I hope you are having a wonderful day. So this past weekend was a year since I have had any alcohol(beer, wine, liquor all of it).Today I wanted to share with you guys my thoughts on alcohol, why I don’t drink anymore, if it has been easy or not and how I feel now that I am not drinking.
A little history. I started drinking when I was about 17 or 18 occasionally. Really, like once or twice while in high school. I believe one of my first experiences with drinking should of been an eye opener, but it was not. It was maybe junior prom, and I ended up going to a party for a bit before my curfew. I had some drinks, got a little tipsy, and OMG I felt like crap the next day. Me feeling like crap that day did not keep me from partying with friends once I was out of high school. There were times that I could drink and feel fine the next day, and then there were times that I could have two drinks and feel like a train wreck. I guess I was ok with taking the chance, and ok with taking a medicine to make my migraines go away. If I would of only known what I know now. But hey we live and learn and can only make better choices today than we did the day before.
- My Thoughts on alcohol- Well I don’t think it is bad in moderation(like a couple drinks a week), but it is not really good for you either, well at least not for my body. If that is your thing, great, no judgment here just be responsible, and do it in moderation. It has had ill effects on my health, on my family, and on my pocket book so I am not really a fan of it.
- Why I don’t drink anymore – It has been a year since I have drank… WHY? I am doing this for my health. My body seems to reject alcohol like it is poison. Now, sometimes I could drink and feel fine the next day, sometimes I would probably have a “normal” hangover, but most of the time I was either sick all day throwing up so much that I had nothing else but stomach acid left to come up(these were in my younger years) or I would have a migraine for about 12 hours, or both. Sometimes this would happen when I had a lot to drink which you would expect, but sometimes it would only take 1 or 2 drinks. Fun right? When I changed my lifestyle to plant based eating I started drinking less and less, and then one day a little over a year ago I had one of the worst migraines I have had in a long time. So bad I even threw up, and I don’t usually throw up when I have a migraine. Since that day I had one drink 12 months ago and my head go tight like I was going to get a migraine (from 1 drink) and that was it for me.
- Has it been easy? For the most part yes. I am the kind of person when I set my mind to something I usually don’t have a hard time sticking to it. Not to say there have not been times where I think a drink would be nice, but I just think of my migraines and then it is easy to pass. The hardest thing at first was the feeling of being left out. Everyone else is having drinks except me. It is like it took me a while to find myself in those situations where I would usually have a drink to loosen up now what do I do. With time I don’t feel this way anymore and I just be myself and have so much fun being sober.
- How I am feeling now that I don’t drink? I feel great. I am alert, and feel like myself. I have found ways to relax and feel comfortable in situations without the help of anything. I am glad I am not drinking anymore. Sometimes the thought of it now makes my stomach turn.
- Is it forever? Well, never say never, but I feel great and it does not sound good to me, so I do not see myself drinking again.
Cheers to those of you who do not drink. You are not the only one out there. And for those that do please remember to drink responsably and in moderation, and that it is ok if someone is not drinking. We are still having fun. Love you all!